About Mishawaka Utilities
Home > MIshawaka Utilities > About MU
Mishawaka Utilities is owned and operated by the City of Mishawaka, Indiana for the sole purpose of providing quality electric, water and wastewater treatment services for our citizens.
MU is governed by a three-member utility service board, appointed by Mayor David Wood. Board members are Gary E. West, Ronald "Mike" Watson and Ken Prince. Rates and charges are approved by this Board and the Mishawaka City Council.
Our water works and electric companies were formed in 1890. On April 1, 1903, the Mishawaka Public Utility Company was formed with the issuance of $100,000 of public bonds. This issue paid off old debt, extended water pipes and electric lines, and built Mishawaka's first City Hall, which was located at the corner of First and Church Streets.
Wastewater Treatment did not arrive in Mishawaka until 1952. A major upgrade of that plant was completed in 1993. The second major plant upgrade was completed in May of 2008.
Today, these three utilities serve a population of more than 47,000 people (27,000 customers). Our employees pride themselves in providing reliable utility services at competitive rates and stand by our mission. Mishawaka's rates for these three utility services are consistently among the lowest in the state of Indiana for cities our size. The Business Office, conveniently located at 126 N. Church Street in downtown Mishawaka, provides centralized customer service, billing, data processing, finance/accounting, and administrative functions for our three operating divisions: Electric, Water, and Wastewater Treatment.
We are proud of our heritage and our community. Mishawaka is more than just a nice place to visit—we are working together to build the best hometown in America.