Mishawaka Main Junior High Apartments Set To Open December 7th
Mishawaka Mayor Dave Wood announced today that the ribbon cutting for the Mishawaka Main Junior High Apartments has been set for 4:00pm on Friday December 7, 2012. This re-dedication commemorates the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of this historically significant building originally constructed in 1910. The City’s general contractor, Ziolkowski Construction of South Bend, will be in attendance as will many of the numerous entities and individuals that have been part of the 7.5 million dollar project.
The Mishawaka Housing Authority will be the property manager and will be onhand to provide rental information on the 32 senior apartments (55 and older). The rent for a majority of the units will be determined on a sliding scale based upon income, and would be ideal for those who are living just on Social Security. There are also market rate units available that have no income restrictions. Those interested in rental information and who are not able to attend should contact the Mishawaka Housing Authority at (574) 258-1658.
The opening is open to the public. Parking for the opening is available in the City municipal parking lot located at the northwest corner of the intersection of Spring Street and First Street, as well as, along the street. Those attending are encouraged to bring new unwrapped hats and mittens that will be collected by Mayor Wood’s Youth Council and donated to charity.
Immediately following the ribbon cutting, tours of the building will be lead by the project architect, Kil Architecture and Planning.
This property was the site of the first Mishawaka High School, which was once located in the adjacent parking lot immediately to the north. This building was constructed as a replacement and was the second official High School for the City between 1910 and 1924. Once the current Mishawaka High School was completed in 1924, this building served as *Mishawaka Main Junior High* for approximately 50 years until being sold to the Mishawaka Furniture Store in the 1970’s. The property was purchased by the City of Mishawaka in 2009 for this adaptive re-use project. The project was envisioned to complement the surrounding neighborhood by making a residential use out of the then blighted commercial building. This masonry prairie-style building has been a landmark to the downtown from the west for over 100 years and now has a new life that will allow it to continue to be an important example of civic architecture for our community for the foreseeable future.
The full press release is available here.