Carlton Tavern House


Street Address: 911 Lincolnway West

Year Built: 1852

City Ordinance: 4010-9600610

National Registry #:

The Carlton Tavern is a Federal Style house constructed in 1852 for John Baert and his wife Magdelina. No records exist as to why the building was named "Carlton Tavern."

The original structure included a front porch. The original owner sold the house to J.Q.C. Vanden Bosch in 1867, who in turn sold it in 1978 to Charles Smith. The Women’s Christian Temperance Union and St. Joseph County’s Orphan’s Society opened the Faith House at this address in December 1882. Mr. William F. Miller, manager, secretary and treasurer of the Mishawaka Paper and Pulp Company, lived in this home with his family upon from 1892 until his death in 1925, however his family maintained ownership until 1950, when it was sold to the current owner’s family who was responsible for landmarking the structure.