Eller-Hosford House


Street Address: 722 Lincolnway East

Year Built: 1875

City Ordinance: 3670-9311138

National Registry #: 83000101

The Eller-Hosford House is an Italianate style structure built in 1875 by Elom Eller. One of the finest Italianate homes left in the City, it also served as home of the Mishawaka Women’s Club for almost 40 years.

Consisting of a rectangular, two-story central unit with a smaller one-story wing on the east end, the house features a native stone foundation along with clapboard siding and a flat roof.  In 1979-80, extensive renovation work was done to the exterior of the home in order to restore the clapboard siding. Using existing physical evidence and historical photographs, it is evident that the front porch was also rebuilt around this time.

The original owner, Elom Eller, earned a living farming and raising livestock. He sold the property in 1880 to Captain and Mrs. Henry Milburn, whose family owned the Milburn Wagon Works. Nine years later, the house was purchased by William Beach Hosford, who was Vice-President of the Dodge Manufacturing Company and also served as a City Councilman. After Mr. Hosford left in 1932, the home was used by the Mishawaka Women’s Club, and in 1971 was sold to the Crawford family, the home's current residents.