Normain Heights District


Street Address: North Main Street north of McKinley Avenue

National Registry #: 02000203

Normain Heights is a post-World War II subdivision built between 1947 and 1949 on what had been an eighty (80) acre farm on the north side of Mishawaka.

Composed of 315 houses in seven (7) different styles, Normain Heights lies along and east of North Main Street and North of McKinley Avenue (US 20). The homes were designed to accommodate World War II Veterans and their families with low to moderate incomes and were either two or three bedroom; some with poured-concrete basements, some built on a concrete slab.

Among the seven (7) house styles are four variations of one-story dwellings, all clearly derivatives of the popular Cape Cod style, a one-and-one-half story, a split-level, and a two story foursquare. Characteristic of several of the styles is a large mullioned wood-frame picture window (twelve panes) in the living room. Apart from this, the remaining windows in all seven of the house types were one-over-one wood-frame double-hung sashes, paired at times.

Historic District Guidelines

City Ordinance 5574AA