Schwab-Germano House


Street Address: 706 West Mishawaka Avenue

Year Built: 1909

City Ordinance: 5128

National Registry #:

The Schwab-Germano House was built in 1909 for Edward and Edith Schwab. It is a Prairie style home designed by N. Roy Shambleau, who was heavily influenced by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The home received a preservation award from Southhold Preservation in 1982.

Prairie-style references can be found in the horizontal emphasis starting at the base of the house with the heavy entablature, band board at the midsection and the wide, flat overhangs at the roof line. Horizontal lines are also created by the groupings of second floor windows and screened openings at the front façade. The house has a low-pitched hipped roof with widely overhanging eaves.

The exterior is finished with fine texture sand stucco and features several built-in planter boxes and an original leaded glass entry wall light. Casing is flat stock stained in a dark charcoal color. Windows include 8 divided lite over one in a standard double hung sash for the first floor. The nine divided lite sash over one casement exist for the second floor windows. The chimney, on the east side of the house, is a wide, unadorned design that starts at ground level and rises well above the roofline. The roof edge is finished in a simple bank board that contains the built-in gutters. At the rear/ north of the structure is a flat roof, two-stall attached garage designed to match the main house. The house sits on a total of three lots which are lushly, informally landscaped.

Former land owners include William P. and Gertrude O’Neill, Edward H. and Edith Schwab, Adolph and Josephine Kamm, Robert Robertson, and August and Ottillie Bloch.