Smith-Kuharic House


Street Address: 417 Edgewater Drive

Year Built: 1923

City Ordinance: 5254

National Registry #:

The Smith-Kuharic home was designed by Boston architects Hutchins & French and built in 1923 for Fred Smith, Esq. President of First National Bank Mishawaka Indiana. The house prominently sits on Edgewater Street, conforming to the curve of the grand St. Joseph River in a subdivision with many other fine homes in a variety of architectural styles from the first half of the 20th century.

A very well built suburban home designed in the Palladian style, the Smith-Kuharic home has all the charm, character and quality of a turn-of-the-century home. Featuring red brick and limestone with red tile hip roof, the symmetrical façade is prominently sited in a subdivision that was laid out the early part of the 20th Century. The home is a classic example of revival style, which was very popular in the time it was built. The house implies solidarity, optimism and prosperity during an important growth in the Mishawaka community.

The  single-family residence with over 4,000 square feet remains virtually unchanged since it was built.  In 1980, the home's third owner added the rear addition which was designed by local architect Leroy Troyer. Mr. Troyer used materials keeping with the original architect intent.

To date, the house has had only five owners. Gregory A. Kuharic established this fine home as a local landmark in 2010 with the approval by Mishawaka Common Council.