Webster-Gering House


Street Address: 624 West Mishawaka Avenue

Year Built: 1916

City Ordinance: 5127

National Registry #:

Built in 1916 by L.R. Austin and N.R. Shambleau for Burt and Hazel Webster, this two-story red brick Colonial Revival style house has a small slate-shingled gabled roof at the entrance with four wooden Doric columns for support. The house has 20 (six over six) wood weight and pulley style windows with the panes consisting of plate glass. Because of the weight of the plate glass, each window requires 64 pounds of weight to function on the inside pulleys. Shutters on the first floor feature a tree cutout while the second floor shutters have a crescent cutout and the attic shutters have a diamond cutout.

The Websters purchased two lots on which to build the home, one in 1912 (Lot #7 for $1000) and the second (Lot #6) in 1916 from Adolph and Josephine Kamm. On June 17, 1967, Hazel Webster, widow of Burt Webster, sold the home to William M. and Lucille Gering who are just the second owners. The property has always been a single family home and in 2007 was designated a local landmark.