Start Your Career
as a Mishawaka Police Officer
Thanks for your interest in joining the Mishawaka Police Department. Mishawaka is a growing commercial city in Northern Indiana, located east of South Bend. Estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau rank Mishawaka as the 18th largest city in Indiana. Unlike many communities, Mishawaka has consistently grown in population, capital investment and assessed value for several years.
Opportunities and Benefits
Career advancement possibilities are Opportunities and Benefits abundant within the Mishawaka Police Department. Uniform road patrol, street crimes, neighborhood enforcement, K-9 and S.W.A.T. could all use passionate individuals on their teams. Civilian positions are available as well including dispatch, records, crossing guard, grant specialist, chaplain and more.
Our Hiring Process
Members of the Mishawaka Police Department are expected to represent the City of Mishawaka as positive role models within the community. We seek individuals with good moral character, integrity and professionalism.
Mishawaka Police Department offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package including competitive pay, clothing/equipment allowance, paid vacation and overtime, compensatory time accrual, health-dental-vision insurance and membership in the Indiana Public Retirement System (INPRS).
MPD Lateral Transfer Program
Throughout the year, the Mishawaka Police Department will accept applications from those who are currently eligible to be certified police officers in Indiana. A summary of the Lateral Transfer Program is outlined below.
- Individuals who have completed the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (Tier 1) and have law enforcement experience with another agency.
- Lateral transfers with at least three years of experience with another agency will be promoted to First Class Patrol Officer upon the completion of an approved FTO program. The lateral transfer hire will then receive the current pay and vacation time allotted to the rank of First Class Patrol Officer.
- Lateral transfers with less than three years of experience will be promoted to First Class Patrol Officer on or before the third anniversary of the date of hire as a certified law enforcement officer.
- Lateral transfers are eligible to maintain their current years of ILEA-certified service concerning vacation benefits outlined in the current collective bargaining agreement. Vacation selection will still be based on department seniority.
- Lateral transfers will receive a uniform clothing allowance and equipment allowance.
Contact the Mishawaka Police Department for any additional questions or concerns regarding our hiring opportunities by using the contact information below.
100 Lincolnway West
Mishawaka, IN 46544
Phone: (574) 258-1678
Fax: (574) 258-1690
Chief of Police: Ken Witkowski, Jr.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm