Parking Signage for Residents with Disabilities
Mishawaka residents with disabilities can apply for a disabled parking space with signage and painted blue curb in front of their home. Please note that any disabled parking space on City streets may be used by anyone who possesses a disabled placard or disabled license plate. Parking in these spaces without the proper disabled placard or plate is subject to a fine.
Click here to view an interactive map of all the Handicap Parking Spaces in Mishawaka.
How Does the Process Work?
To obtain a disabled parking space in Mishawaka, please follow these steps:
- The resident or family member requesting a disabled parking space shall bring their disabled parking hang tag or vehicle registration to the Engineering Department, where a copy of this information will be made.
- The resident or family member will be asked to provide their address and contact information. This information will be forwarded to the Mishawaka Police Department – Traffic Division.
- A representative from the Mishawaka Police Department – Traffic Division will contact the resident to arrange a date and time to discuss the request for a disabled parking space.
- The Mishawaka Police Department – Traffic Division will send a report to the Board of Public Works and Safety, indicating either approval or denial of this request. This process could take approximately 3-4 weeks.
- A report of their findings, with a recommendation of approval or denial, is forwarded to the Board of Public Works and Safety for action at the next regularly scheduled meeting, which is every Tuesday at 10:00 am in the Board of Public Works Conference Room, located on the second floor of City Hall.
- The resident will receive a letter notifying them of the Board’s approval or denial.
- Upon Board of Public Works and Safety approval, a work order is issued by the Engineering Department to Central Services for the installation of signage and blue curb painting, weather permitting.
- The Engineering Department maintains a database of all disabled parking locations, which is reviewed every year. Residents who acquire a disabled parking space are asked to contact the Engineering Department on an annual basis to retain their spot.
For questions and information regarding disabled parking requests, please contact the Engineering Department.