Website City of Mishawka
JOB TITLE – DAY CAMP PM CARE COUNSELOR
DEPARTMENT: Parks Department
SALARY: $11.00 per hour
The Day Camp PM Care Counselor will be responsible for leading the PM care portion of summer day camp programming and reports directly to the Camp and Community Engagement Director. The Day Camp PM Care Counselor would be responsible for ensuring the safety, wellbeing, and engagement of campers during our PM care hours (2:30-5:30pm). PM Care Counselor will develop creative and thoughtful programming, create meaningful connections, show a willingness to adapt to change as needed, and have a passion for youth development. This position is a part time seasonal position. The PM Care Counselor will work 15-20 hours a week for 9 weeks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
1. Provide opportunities for the group so that each camper experiences success while at camp.
2. Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
3. Guide campers in participating successfully in all aspects of camp PM care activities.
4. Observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, implementing positive discipline when required and communicating to parent/guardians regarding behavioral issues while at camp PM care.
5. Enforce safety regulations.
6. Appropriate execution of camp programs, activities, procedures and policies.
7. Supervision of campers, including creating and managing engaging PM care programming, disciplining, and assisting the Camp Site Supervisor as needed.
8. Planning and preparation of PM care activities and materials.
9. Assist with set up and tear down of activities.
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
1. Maintain a safety-first approach to all endeavors at camp.
2. Commitment to all 9 weeks of camp, Monday to Friday, unless previously discussed with Parks Department staff.
3. Attend required trainings.
4. Camp runs from June 6 – August 5, Monday – Friday, No Camp July 4th.
1. Reports directly to the Camp & Community Engagement Director + Site Supervisors.
2. Supervises campers.
1. Reach with hands and arms
2. Use hands to operate tools or controls
3. Sit, climb, balance, stoop, crouch
4. Talk and hear
5. Occasionally lift or move 50 pounds
6. Lift and move light objects without assistance
In general, we are exposed to varied temperatures and weather conditions. Equal proportion of time spent indoors and outdoors. Outdoor work depends on weather conditions. PM Care Counselor must be able to work consistently between 2:30-5:30pm Monday through Friday for the entire 9 weeks.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to work independently.
2. Must possess good public relations, communications, reading and writing skills.
3. Ability to develop long-range plans and to accurately evaluate work accomplished.
4. Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with employees, coworkers and public.
5. Must accept supervision and responsibility.
1. Preferred current college student or college graduate interested in learning on the job training relating to the field of camp programming, recreation, communication, psychology, education, sociology, environmental studies, or a related field.
2. Preferred 2 years of camp experience or related experience.
3. Proven experience to lead.
4. Strong oral and written communication skills required.
5. Valid driver’s license or ability to commute to and from work.
6. First Aid, CPR, AED Certification-Adult and Child (required, may be obtained through the City).
Resumes/applications may be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, or in person to:
City of Mishawaka
100 Lincolnway West
Mishawaka, Indiana 46544
Fax: (574) 254-0197
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org