Website City of Mishawka
JOB TITLE – SENIOR CAMP COUNSELOR
DEPARTMENT: Parks Department
SALARY: $13.00 per hour
The Day Camp Senior Counselor will be responsible for leading summer day camp programming and reports directly to the Camp and Community Engagement Director. The Day Camp Senior Counselor would be responsible for ensuring the safety, wellbeing, and excitement of campers. Day Camp Senior Counselor will develop creative and thoughtful programming, creating meaningful connections, show a willingness to adapt to change as needed, and a have a passion for youth development. This position is a seasonal position. The Day Camp Senior Camp Counselor work between 30-40 hours a week for 9 weeks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
1. Provide opportunities for the group so that each individual experiences success while at camp.
2. Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities.
3. Guide campers in participating successfully in all aspects of camp activities.
4. Observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, implementing positive discipline when required and communicating to parent/guardians regarding behavioral issues while at camp.
5. Enforce safety regulations.
6. Appropriate execution of camp programs, activities, procedures and policies.
7. Supervision of campers, including creating and managing programing, disciplining, and assisting the Site Supervisors as needed.
8. Assist Camp Site Supervisors with field trips, guest speakers and t-shirt distribution.
9. Planning and preparation of weekly activities and material: plans at least one daily group activity and one daily all camp activity. The Senior Camp Counselor will ensure that Camp Counselors and Junior Camp Counselors have the materials they need to run activities throughout the day. Senior Camp Counselors will be the point person for general camp programming.
10. Assist the Camp Site Supervisors s with weekly planning of camp activities.
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
1. Maintain a safety-first approach to all endeavors at camp.
2. Commitment to all 9 weeks of camp, Monday to Friday, unless previously discussed with Parks Department staff.
3. Attend required trainings.
4. Camp runs from June 6 – August 5, Monday – Friday, No Camp July 4.
1. Reports directly to the Camp and Community Engagement Director + Site Supervisors
2. Supervises campers.
1. Reach with hands and arms
2. Use hands to operate tools or controls
3. Sit, climb, balance, stoop, crouch
4. Occasionally lift or move 50 pounds
5. Talk and hear
6. Lift and move light objects without assistance
In general we are exposed to varied temperatures and weather conditions. Equal proportion of time spent indoors and outdoors. Outdoor work depends on weather conditions. Flexible schedule required, with in-season hours normally between 30-40 hours per week. Must be able to work consistently between the hours of 7:30am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday the entire 9 weeks.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to work independently.
2. Must possess good public relations, communications, reading and writing skills.
3. Ability to develop long-range plans and to accurately evaluate work accomplished.
4. Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with employees, coworkers and public.
5. Must accept supervision and responsibility.
1. Preferred current college student or college graduate interested in learning on the job training relating to the field of camp programming, recreation, communication, psychology, education, sociology, environmental studies, or a related field.
2. Preferred 3 years of camp experience or related experience.
3. Proven experience to lead.
4. Strong oral and written communication skills required.
5. Valid driver’s license or ability to commute to and from work.
6. First Aid, CPR, AED Certification-Adult and Child (required, may be obtained through the City).
Resumes/applications may be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, or in person to:
City of Mishawaka
100 Lincolnway West
Mishawaka, Indiana 46544
Fax: (574) 254-0197
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org