System Specialist IV – Network Engineer
November 7, 2022
8:30am – 4:45pm
Performs a variety of network-related tasks for the Information Technologies Department.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Serve as the primary administrator for all network services including data, voice, wireless, and VPN networks.
- Safeguard the network systems by creating and applying policies, along with monitoring access.
- Administer firewall settings in line with IT security strategy.
- Support end-user devices such as laptops, desktops, cell phones, VoIP phone systems, door access systems, video surveillance systems, etc.
- Extensive working knowledge of IP networks, routing, layer 2 and layer 3 switching, routing protocols such as BGP or OSPF, QoS, VPN technologies, network protocols such as DHCP and DNS
- Accountable for consulting and delivering highly redundant network services, from design through execution, including a critical role in the creation and ongoing support of the Disaster Recovery Strategy.
- Maintain network infrastructure and monitoring, including maintenance of component inventory, subscriptions, licensing, lifecycle management and related documentation including physical layouts and logical data flow diagrams
- Provide technical services and support for the following areas, WAN and LAN connectivity, routers, firewalls, and security, internal systems, cloud, and network infrastructure.
- Performs network maintenance, upgrades, and refreshes by conferring with vendors, developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements.
- Will also serve as the primary administrator for Cisco Unified Call Manager (CUCM), Cisco Unified Contact Center Express (UCCX), and other telephone systems.
- Any combination equivalent to high school education and/or college degree in Computer Science. A minimum of 8+ years of hands-on networking experience with enterprise sized networks. Network and Systems Administration (CCIE, CCNP, CISSP) CCNA, A+, Network+ preferred.
- Work experience with CAT5e, CAT6, single and multimode fiber preferred.
- Ability to read and understand computer documentation and various software packages.
- Understanding of networking protocols, firewalls, VLANs, network monitoring and various scripting
languages required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to lift and carry computers and
monitors required. Valid driver’s license required.
- Must possess strong working knowledge of design & implementation experience for data networking,
routing & switching, subnetting, and network segmenting with large-scale enterprise networks.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of Network Infrastructure and topology, LAN/WAN, TCP/IP, DNS,
DHCP, VPN, and Network Monitoring tools
- Experience supporting enterprise networks for VoIP and SIP messaging.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot complex issues related to hardware, L3/L2 deployment, application
behaviors, and TCP stack.
- Strong knowledge of routing and switching concepts and technologies
- Strong Telco circuit knowledge & troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, often competing, priorities and tasks and follow through to completion on
- A strong communicator can effectively communicate technical information, both verbal and written, to a
wide range of end-users, including non-technical audiences.
- Self-motivated with enthusiasm and ability to develop technical skills and take on additional
responsibilities in order to add value to department
- VOIP Engineering experience is a plus.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Resumes/applications may be submitted via email, fax, regular mail, or in person to:
City of Mishawaka
100 Lincolnway West
Mishawaka, Indiana 46544
Fax: (574) 254-0197