Disabled Parking Space Requests
Home > Residential Services > Disabled Parking Space Requests
Disabled Mishawaka residents can apply for disabled parking signage and a blue curb in front of their home. Please note that any disabled parking place on the city streets of Mishawaka may be used by anyone who possesses a disabled placard or disabled license plate. Anyone parking in these spaces without a proper disabled placard or plate is subject to a $50 fine.
The process to obtain the disabled parking signage in Mishawaka is:
- Resident or family member must bring the disabled parking hang tag or vehicle registration to the Engineering Department at City Hall, 600 East Third Street (office hours 8:30am to 4:45pm), where a copy of this information will be made.
- They will be requested to provide their address and telephone number.
- This information will be forwarded to the Traffic Division of the Mishawaka Police Department.
- A representative of the Traffic Division will contact the resident to arrange for a date and time to discuss the request for disabled parking signage.
- The Traffic Division sends a report to the Board of Public Works, indicating either approval or denial of this request. *
- Requests are forwarded to the Board of Public Works for action at the next regular meeting, which is every Tuesday.
- The resident will receive a letter notifying them of the Board's approval.
- Upon the Board's approval, a Work Order is issued to the Traffic Department for the installation of signage and painting the curb blue, weather permitting.
- The Engineering Office maintains a database of all disabled parking locations, which is reviewed on a yearly basis. The resident who acquires this signage is to notify the Engineering Department at 258-1619 on a yearly basis of their need to retain this designated disabled parking.
*Process could take 3-4 weeks.