Old Firehouse No. 4


Street Address: 2319 Lincolnway East

Architecture: Tudor

Year Built: 1929

Year Landmarked: 2015

City Ordinance: 5486

National Registry #: SG100001614

Built in 1929, Fire Station No. 4 was constructed for the City of Mishawaka to serve its growing population on the east side of town. It was the first fire station built to accommodate motorized fire trucks rather than horse-drawn carriages.

The masonry structure is rectilinear in plan and constructed two and a half stories in height. The front façade is made up of a pitched primary gable with a secondary gable stepped forward from the main body of the building. The use of exposed corbeling at the roofline, as well as the other decorative effects in the masonry, are all indicative of the English Revival style. The garage and entry doors are laid with end brick to create half round headers. There are terrazzo floors across the first floor and walls of brick and plaster.

The building remained in use as a fire house until January 2013 when it was decommissioned in lieu of the new Fire Station 4 on East Harrison Rd. In 2014, Douglas Merritt and family purchased the building to convert into their home / office space. The house was designated a local landmark in July 2015 and was listed on the National Register on September 18, 2017.