Petro Park


Street Address: 1102 Shanower Drive

Year Built: 1934

City Ordinance: 4487

National Registry #:

The Petro Park Local Historic District, started and completed in 1934 with additions in 1936, consists of thirteen (13) structures or features. Originally to be called North Side Park, Mayor Mason Petro was granted funding from Civil Works Administration (CWA) to create a second public park for residents on the north side of the St. Joseph River. The Petro Park Local Historic District became a Registered Historic District in 2000.

The 13 structures and features are listed as follows:

1) Shanower Drive Entry Monument is two, six foot tall fieldstone monument flank the east and west sides of Shanower Drive park entrance on Jefferson Boulevard.

2) Shanower Drive Entry Archwary is a double archway that spans Shanower Drive creating a central focus for the park. Two outer fieldstone pillars connected to a larger central pillar by two arching fieldstone covered beams. The outer support pillars connect to low fieldstone walls.

3) Driveway and Boundary Walls, built around the entire park area. Low fieldstone walls constructed on both sides of driveway.

4) Hidden Staircase of concrete from the archway to the base of the hillside.

5) Hillside Seating Area constructed along western entrance drive. Fifteen steps that lead to oval shaped seating area. Two fieldstone benches flank the staircase built into the supporting fieldstone wall that lines the staircase.

6) Willow Creek flows through a fieldstone wall lined channel from the east property line to a point near the west end of the hillside. It then splits into two smaller channels that direct s water from the spring-fed fish viewing pond seating area and into the fish hatchery pond. Includes six bridges varying in size and style.

7) Fish Viewing Pond is a three sided fieldstone feature constructed over a natural spring and outlet into Willow Creek. The center (east) side has a high arched wall while the north and south seating areas mirror the “sofa back” appearance. Rectangular area is several feet deep and gained fresh water from a natural spring located within the pond area.

8) Rock Monument located near the base of the entry driveway serves as a monument to the rock features that were crafted within the park.

9) Spring Pond is a small, circular pond west of the rock monument. Approximately fifteen feet in diameter and has a foot thick wall lining the pond. Small fountain mechanism in the center of the pond.

10) Superintendent's Cabin Chimney is all that remains from the small cabin built at the time the park was first constructed for the park superintendent.

11) Fish Hatchery Pond is approximately 500' long and 300' wide and several feet deep and supplied with water from Willow Creek. A low fieldstone wall surrounds the pond and two features, including a fieldstone footbridge and a creek connector channel. The footbridge is a decorative feature with four corner pillars, arched sidewalls and an arching walkway.

12) Eberhart-Petro Golf Course #6 Tee Box was an addition to the park area when the golf course was added in the 1940s was the peninsular #6 tee box. Located near the southeast corner of the property and built to replicate the existing fieldstone walls along the riverbank. Lower portion is a fieldstone retaining wall with a concrete cap. At the western end is a raised fieldstone marker with small inlaid stones spelling No.6 indicate the tee number.

13) Riverbank Wall constructed along the St. Joseph River. Walls were crafted from Logan Street Bridge to the eastern end of Petro Park. Constructed to be decorative in nature but also served to protect against bank erosion.